Monday, December 13, 2010

The beauty ideal

One summer day in Korea I bumped into a friend that I haven't seen for several months. She was wearing black shorts and a black tang-top. I was so stunned by how good she looked, that I couldn't turn my eyes away. I remember making a mental note to buy such black shorts asap.
She must have noticed my staring, because she said: " Don't look at me like that, I know, I need to go on a diet... I was in the US for the past two months, and I got this damn tan and gained weight..."*  And then I realized! It was not the black shorts! That girl had finally some legs, and breasts, and a bottom! And the color of her skin, my goodness, what a pretty brown it was! She looked so unlike most Korean girls with their sickly pale complexions and bodies without any curves.
Of course my friend went on a diet, and she started using some whitening creme (yes, they sell whitening facial cremes in Asia). I haven's seen her since that one day in summer, yet I believe that by now she looks again just like any other Korean girl - thin, flat, shape- and colorless. But that's just my subjective view on beauty, as far as I know most Koreans are very much in love with the anorectic type.


* most Koreans talk openly about looks and weight

No comments:

Post a Comment