Thursday, May 26, 2011

Korean Army, the real deal

As you may or may not know, in South Korea all men go to the army for at least two years. There are no exceptions. But considering that the DMZ is an hour's ride from Seoul it is quite understandable. I have seen many friends leave for the army. Two years ago I said my good-byes to a particularly fine young man. He was the chubby, cuddly type of boy, so I was petrified the army would turn him into the muscle-macho you see all over Seoul. 
Today I got word that he is out. And I am pleased to tell you all, that according to my informant, he did not change a bit, maybe just got a bit more manly. He is even as chubby as before! Apparently his job in the army was ..... to turn the boiler on and off when others wanted to shower. So, after the half-a-year obligatory training he spent the remaining time pushing a button and reading books.
All I can say to this:





No comments:

Post a Comment