Friday, January 14, 2011

The caterpillar and the butterfly


There is a Japanese animated movie called Omohide Poro poro, meaning falling memories. This movie has little to do with the holly-jolly Disney movies most Europeans are used to - it is about a woman in her thirties, taking a holiday in the countryside. She is a typical Japanese women from the older generation: politely smiling, never emotional, very conscious about the needs of others. However during her trip she starts remembering the time when she was in 5th grade: a selfish little brat, going through her first childhood-love, first big disappointment, or as she calls it: “the caterpillar stage”.

At work and at play we girls were livelier and more spirited than boys. It was like we'd finally found our wings. But looking now back, maybe we were just flexing them pointlessly.”
You see that woman, a product of the society, and the passionate girl she has once been. And you see much more - you see the Japanese society as it has been in the 60's. But the movie does not just reproduce the picture of a traditional Asian society - it questions at the same time, and the main character also starts questioning.

Perhaps the 5th grade me was tagging along with a message for me to reflect and rethink my life.”
A few weeks ago I have been interviewed for Cambridge. When asked about what I like to do in my free time, I told the admissions lady about this movie. Call me crazy - who in their right mind talks about an animated movie during their interview for Economics at Cambridge - but I did and I got in.
I have applied to Cambridge already once before, that was 5 years ago. During that interview I didn't talk about anything that I was really passionate about, I just said what I thought they want me to say. Of course, back then, I didn't get in. I think everyone has to fall on their nose a few times in order to really understand who they are and where they are heading to. And to be able to stay true to themselves.

Like it or not, a butterfly must first live as a caterpillar before it can fly away.”

[all the quotes are from the movie]

No comments:

Post a Comment