Sunday, April 3, 2011

Why I hate Warsaw fashion

I do like fashion. A lot. But, to be honest, in Warsaw I am just too intimidated to wear what I like.
For the past 2 seasons beige and camel-colored pants with black blazers, oversized scarfs and oversized bags have been ruling the streets of Warsaw. Nothing against this classic casual chic, but c'mon if everyone is wearing exactly the same ZARA-style it all becomes a redundant blur. 
You see, Warsaw is a city that is only developing a fashion sense after the gray years of communism. 
The current Warsaw style lacks easiness, freedom and imagination. 
You rarely see people - fashionable people - wearing an outfit of 'just' two peaces (pants/jeans + t-shirt/shirt/pullover) and some accessories to make it all fun. When you see 'fashionable people' you see the time and sweat behind their outfits: the socks match the ribbon, which matches the color of the dots on the shirt, which matches the lipstick. 
I feel like puking whenever I see such over-styled specimen walking the streets.
But people think it's chic. 
They spend lot's of Zlots (the polish currency) on the same H&M outfits. And I think to myself that they completely miss the point. Those mass-replica can hardly say anything about individual character. Only in Korea, where it is socially (almost) unacceptable to posses ones own style, have I seen so much repetition as in Warsaw. A French girl, as you meet them on the streets of Paris, with outfits that may not be completely thought-through, but with lot's of character and inner beauty, would feel completely out of place in Warsaw. 
The Warsaw version of nonchalant is boring and pretentious. 
That is why I hate hate hate the fashion in Warsaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment