Sunday, November 7, 2010

On men and women


I have been once asked by a man if I liked to be a woman. It was the middle of the night, and I couldn't sleep tossing from side to side, and he woke up and asked me: Tash, tell me, do you like to be a woman? He took me by surprise, after all it is not a question you expect at 4am in the morning.
Yes, I like to be a woman. I said.
Really? He asked.
Really, I answered. So he turned and went back to sleep, but I kept awake till the morning.

I think it is a great privilege to be a woman. Anti-conception gave us the liberty to live the lives we want, yet we kept the right to be weak and protected, at least in the societies that I know.

2 comments:

  1. Shit, I accidently deleted my comment...
    What I wanted to say is that I'm surprised that you thought in the first place of anti-conception and being weak and protected.
    I thought of being a mother and the fact that I don't have penis on the outside...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess that's the difference between a med student and a social-science student, we are programed by the surrounding ;)
    But seriously, if you look at the Asian society and see all those little Asian girls being all cute and weak, but on the other hand having in many ways a greater freedom of choice than men have that's with what you come up...

    ReplyDelete